The school holidays are upon us and you know what that means; a bunch of kids bored at home with nothing to do. As parents we may feel pressure to want to do a million things but that’s not necessary. All it takes is one treasured memory to make a great holiday. Even as we (the parents) remember our own childhood, we look back at a handful of memories as opposed to a giant list. That time we went on holiday, or those steaks we had at [insert restaurant] for our family lunch. We’ve prepared a short, detailed list of 16 things you can do with your kids to create that treasured memory. If you would like to recommend other interesting places nationwide for you and the kids – kindly share with us on our FB page.
When kids sit at home or the classroom they learn a lot about African wildlife. It makes a world of difference to actually see the wildlife live and in person. The list below includes places close to the Capital city where you can take your children for what may be their first experience seeing wildlife in nature.
Mwanga Lodge offers a unique opportunity for children to experience wildlife and the great outdoors. You can enjoy the lodge facilities or tour the infamous Bally Vaughan Sanctuary. The sanctuary also offers day and overnight safaris, elephant rides, game drives and canoeing.
- Mwanga Lodge is 23km on the Shamva Road.
- Lodge +263-772193969 / Sanctuary +263-783137147
Lion and Cheetah Park, and Snake World
Who doesn’t know about this gem of many people’s childhood? About half an hour’s drive outside Harare (near Lake Chivero), the Lion & Cheetah Park is a sanctuary for lions, cheetahs, the oldest and largest Galapagos tortoise in Zimbabwe and a wide variety of other animals.
- Opening hours: Mon – Thu: 9:00 am – 4:30 pm, Fri – Sun: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Tel: +263 (0)772 263 099 / 0772 227 069
- Email: email@example.com
- $7 per adult/ $5 per child at Lion and Cheetah Park
- $5 per adult/ $3 at Snake World
Kuimba Shiri Bird Park
Zimbabwe’s only bird park, Kuimba Shiri boasts 460 species of indigenous birds in the wild, and is situated on the shores of Lake Chivero.
The Mukuvisi Woodlands Wildlife and Environment Centre has indigenous flora and fauna including zebra, impala, giraffe, wildebeest, eland and crocodile. They hold Family Runs/Walks on the last Sunday of every month, after which you can enjoy a hearty breakfast at their cafe.
Twala Trust Animal Sanctuary is a rescue and rehabilitation centre run by trustees Sarah Carter and veterinarian Dr Vinay Ramlaul. It’s home to a wide variety of wildlife, farm and domestic animals and birds.
- $10 for adults
- $5 for kids
- Tel: +263 (0)774 312887 / 0772 592944
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit on Facebook
Imire is the closest thing you’ll get to a full Safari experience without traveling too far. They have rhino, elephant, lion, hyena, giraffe, zebra, buffalo and more than ten different types of antelope, as well as 150 different species of birdlife. They have day trips and over night stay. Day trips start at 9.30am when you arrive at Sable Lodge for tea, coffee and biscuits. At 10am your game drive starts where you get to see black rhino, elephant, lion, hyena, giraffe and a wide variety of other game. At 1pm you will arrive at the dam for lunch while watching elephants swim. After a great meal you drive continues at 2pm, this time to see elephant, buffalo, crocodile, sable, and wildebeest. After this segment of the drive you will then arrive back at Sable Lodge for tea, coffee and biscuits prior to departure.
- Address: http://www.imire.co.zw/contact/
- 0772 022 201/ 0777 644 096
- $60 for adult $30 per child for a day trip
- $140 per adult and $60 per child for over night stay
- Children are aged between 5 – 12 years
- Over night stays are inclusive of accommodation and two meals
King Fisher Park
King Fisher Park is great for a nice day out. The business has done a lot of work toad more things to do and improve its facilities. It’s ideal for kids of all ages and even has a designated play area for children less than 4 years. You can fish, go canoeing, swing ball or try out the water slip and slide.
- 61 Prices Avenue Emerald Hill, Harare
- +263 (0) 772 307 489 / 0772 307 489
- $3 per adult and $2 per child
- Closed on Mondays. Call to book.
- $5 to hire big braai stand $3 for small (you can bring your own)
Play centres are a parents dream. It’s a place where children can come alive and use up all the energy that keeps them restless at home. This list should give you an idea of a few places you visit these holidays.
Tamba Tamba has quickly made itself one of the flagship play centres in the capital. Kids absolutely love this place and it would be a crime not to take them at least once over the holidays. Opening times are 9am to 5pm Monday to Sunday. During school terms they are closed on Tuesdays. They are open everyday during the holidays.
- 57 Princess Drive, Newlands
- Entry charge of $7/ child, adults are FREE!
- Tel: +263 (0) 776 617493 / (0) 8677101397,
- Email: email@example.com
- Web: tambatambazimbabwe.com
Benji’s Fun Factory
Benji’s Fun Factory offers a wide variety of activities for kids. It’s location is very convenient in case you need to shop at Sam Levy’s after or before. Talk about killing two birds.
- 44 Harare Drive, Borrowdale, Harare
- Tel: +263 (0)771 930479 / 0773 237766 / 886794
- Entry US$7/child for a morning or afternoon
The little stage
The Little Stage is a playgroup for kids ages 0-5. They get to act out stories, play with other kids, and learn in an interactive and positive way. Check out their Facebook page below to learn more.
- +263 (0)773 344 301/ 0777 919 133
- Queen of Hearts Complex, 1 Hurworth Road, Highlands, Harare
Safety Sam Traffic Training Centre is a wonderful edutainment resource close to Arundel Village Shopping Centre. It finds teaches children about traffic and road safety in a fun and creative way. Plastic motorbikes and bicycles are available for use from the centre.
- The Chase, Mt Pleasant
- Tel: +263 (0)4 303983 / 0773 306706
Child friendly cafes/ restaurants
Child friendly cafes/restaurants have great food and great facilities for your kids to play with while you and your friend catch up. Here are a few we thought you would like.
- 9 Carrick Creagh Rd, Harare, Zimbabwe
- +263 (0)4 293 0531
- WiFi available
Queen of Hearts
- 1 Hurworth Road Highlands
- +263 (0)771 929 914
- Free Wi-Fi available
- 8 Coltman Road, Mt Pleasant, Harare, Zimbabwe
- Phone: +263 (0)78 391 0199
- Avondale Branch: 86 East Road, Belgravia
- Borrowdale Branch: Ster Kinekor Complex, Sam Levy’s Village, Borrowdale
- +263 4 334 982
*Kefalos has managed to secure vouchers exclusive for its blog readers. The vouchers are from Tamba Tamba, Imire, and St Elmos. If you would like a voucher click the photo below. You’ll be taken to our contact page. Scroll down to the ‘send us a message’ section and fill in the form. The photo below also has an example of what you should say.